Amerigas only puts 15 lbs of propane in a 20 lb tank

I went to Home Depot and did a propane cylinder exchange. The propane tank had a $2.50 rebate form from AmeriGas on it. The "customer message" on the reverse side of the rebate form explained that Amerigas is no longer putting 20 lbs of gas in a 20 lb tank, instead they are only putting in 15 lbs of gas.

With the weight of the tank, I believe this is deceptive as a consumer cannot tell whether the tank contains 20, 17 or 15 lbs of gas. Home Depot does not make its customers aware that they are only getting a 3/4 full tank. Amerigas tells you inside the "Important Customer Message" which is printed on white paper, folded up to 1" x 2" and attached to a white tank. The only place that they mention they are only putting in 15 lbs of gas in in the second paragraph of the "Customer Message" which has the rebate form on the reverse side. I would rather have a tank with more gas in it and be charged more than have my propane run out quicker.

I feel this is deceptive and dishonest.

d52cb17 review #156393
10 Helpful? 0
Had the same issue0 Comments27 Report
Had an experience with Amerigas?  Submit review about this company

Jul 11 Springfield, Missouri

Propane expands! those cylinders are usually at an outside location for a long time with temps in the 100s.
For safety it is federal regulations that those exchange cylinders are filled to that. It is not any companies fault they are obeying the safety laws.

AJC3579

1 day ago Malvern, Pennsylvania

The tanks can hold 25 lbs but are only filled to 20. If they take the 20% off of the 20 lb allowed then you are being ripped off even more. It is true that the tank is only filled 80% but 20 lbs is the 80% mark. If your tank has a tear weight of 18lbs then the tank should weigh about 37.5 to 38lbs full. Thats what my tank reads if I refill it opposed to exchange it. Total weight from Amerigas is never over 32lbs and I still pay the same price. Regardless of how Amerigas explains it they are ripping you off or you are allowing it to happen.

shane

Jun 03 Bossier City, Louisiana

Does Amerigas not freaking test these *** cylinders just exchanged a bottle at local store and for the 3rd time in 6 months the *** gas spews out of the valve when hooked up and turned on.

Out of Gas

May 20

I noticed that as I got my first tank of propane from HomeDepot recently, due to the gas station I used to use going out of the propane business. What's even worse I can get the AmeriGas to heat up my grill only to 200° F when before I could regularly get over 400° F. Looks like I'll be searching for another propane provide.

plant guy

Apr 14, 2013

Most 20 lb tanks these days have an overfill protection device and will usually close around 18 lbs so it can not be overfilled.

Huncie

Nov 18, 2012

I have been in the Propane industry for 34 years and a 100lb cylinder holds 100lbs at 80% @ 60 degrees. A 20 lb cylinder holds 20 lbs @ 80 %. They advertise 15 lbs and give you around 16 lbs. This prevents them from trouble in two ways. Any thing over 20lbs is an overfill (safety hazard) and anything less than 15 is cheating the consumer.

Homeowner

Oct 05, 2012

You may not be aware of it, however, did you know that Federal Law requires that all LP cylinders be filled no more than 80%. So, if you have a 100 LB tank, the BEST you will get is 80 Lbs.

Sorry 'bout that.

WORKS IN THE PROPANE INSUSTRY

Jan 24, 2013

100# cylinders hold 100# of propane when filled to 80%. I design and work for a major manufacturer of LP gas cylinders.

Tom Jansen

Jul 16, 2012

no one answers the question of why a 20lb bottle is now filled only to 15lbs. it appears that ripping off the public is the sole motivation..

WORKS IN THE PROPANE INDUSTRY

Jan 24, 2013

The 15# vs. 20# came from the refillers: Suburban, Blue Rhino, etc. It has nothing to do with any Govt regulation. It developed from a Sales decision to not raise prices but to instead reduce LP volume. We watched LP cabinet refillers drop one pound at a time till they hit 15#.
It's a practice that is annoying. Sort of like buying a hamburger but only 3/4 of the patty comes with the bun.
How do I know? I work in the LP gas industry and watched this sillyness happen...

Phil

Jun 29, 2012

I do what my grandfather said to do. Do it yourself! By filling it yourself you'll know exactly how much is in there. Granted shopping for best price and location are the variables to maximize your time here on earth! He also said local small business usually are the best. Happy grilling

ricopan

Apr 02, 2012

Well, I just exchanged my Amerigas tank at HD and the 'refill' was empty. After a fair bit of trouble, a cashier opened up the cage and let me choose one. They unquestionably varied by weight -- some probably a third less than others. Next time I am taking a scale.

Bill

Sep 05, 2011

Go to a fill station..... Blue Rhino and Amerigas are both screwing you out of 25% of your gas!!!

Markedi

Jun 27, 2011

I had a similar problem at HD Amerigas, except my tank was empty, HD exchanged at no cost. The replacement tank lasted a day, or might I say 2 hambergers and a steak. Next time I plan to weigh the tank.

Dec 11 Saint Peters, Missouri

Its not going to explode. The tanks have safety pressure valves to let off pressure for expansion. So you are the ***, as in DUMB***. Learn something before you run your *** mouth!

cm

Jan 23, 2011

The product weight is printed on each label... and has been printed on every label for years. JESUS... What do you expect them to do read it for you? Pepsi sells in different sizes... A "20 pound" tank will only hold 17 pounds full. The more that is placed in a tank the more likely it is to vent gas if overheated. Fill one up to 17 pound and forget it in the trunk of your car one summer day..... I did it. Id *** of a lot rather have it filled to a safe level than b**ch about two ponds. This stuff expands 170 times before it reaches a flammable concentration. you would be shocked at the volume of vapor that can come from 15lb of gas.

propane refiller

Jan 24, 2013

CM, you don't know what you're talking about. A 20# cylinder is designed to hold 20#. The relief valve prevents unwanted pressure buildup. You obviously don't know that placing an LP cylinder in a enclosed compartment is against Federal regulations. You're lucky to be alive.
Filled 20# LP tanks belong in the pickup bed or in the back seat with the windows open during transportation. Transporting sizes larger than 20# fall under different Federal (DOT) and NFPA 58 regulations.

AmeriGas Customer Service

Jan 05, 2011

We are sorry to hear about your situation and apologize for your recent experience with AmeriGas. AmeriGas prides itself on providing our customers with the highest levels of customer service and we would like to help. At your convenience, please contact Fran directly via email at customerfirstfran@amerigas.com so we can promptly assist you with this issue. To better assist you, please provide your AmeriGas customer number, phone number or the address and zip code where your propane tank is located. Thank-You. AmeriGas Customer Service.

AmeriGas Customer Service

Jan 04, 2011

1-20 of 27 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Amerigas.
Filing a new complaint about
×