Amerigas - Price Gouging

Jan 21, 2010
review #168513

We received our Amerigas bill and we were charged almost $2000.00 for 317 gallons of propane.We obviously thought it was a mistake, so we called and were told it was not a mistake, the going price for propane was $5.88 per gallon.

They even told us that it was normal for the price to fluctuate, especially in the winter. When I paid our bill 2 months previous, it was $2.39 a gallon. That is not fluctuation, it is gouging. We told them to take our tank away and that we were not going to pay our bill.

They then told us it would cost us $100 for them to do this. After speaking to three or four more managers, they finally told us they would lock us in at $2.39.

We are more than pissed that they tried to do this to us and will not drop it.We are telling as many people as we can about it.

a959b0a
Had an experience with Amerigas?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
Fed Up With Amerigas

Jun 30

Called Feb 2014 to have my tank filled. No one showed. Called several times over the next few months. Each time i was told they would be there with in 1-2 wks. As of June 30 2014 no one has come to fill the tank. Called today to cancel service. Bought our own tank and can choose who and at what price we pay. ( Looking at comments below, I guess I now feel fortunate they didn't fill the tank at $5+ per gal. )
PS. They are charging us a $.35 per gallon restocking fee on the unused propane in the tank, plus a $40 fee to pick up THEIR tank that we've been paying a RENTAL fee to use.

Skeeter

Feb 20 Noblesville, Indiana

2/20/2014
I am writing because our Propane bill tripled...this month.
It went from $474.31 to $1211.28.
They delivered 197 gallons on the 3rd of February 2014
And we were charged $5.639 per gallon. When I called the company the Manager, stated he could give us a price of $4.50. When I was not satisfied with this price, he stated the gas price for that particular day was $4.50 a gallon, that was the best he could do. So I asked "Than why were we charged $5.639 a gallon." And why was the client in the news cast below, given a price of $5.99 and then reduced to $3.00 a gallon? I also read where it was not legal to charge sales tax on the LP gas. Is this true??? We have a charge of $79.24 on this current bill for taxes. Also we are charged a HazMat Fee of $9.59, is this correct???? And a Fuel Recovery Fee of $7.62, is this correct???? I looked up current LP gas prices and saw a current News story so I clicked on it. I watched the news interviews from California, Channel 7, Ameri-Gas Customers stated they had been charged $5.99 a gallon. Ameri-gas stated to give them a call, and they would get their bill changed to $3.00 a gallon. Everything is almost double in California so why are they getting a better price than Indiana Customers????

Feb 17 Crandon, Wisconsin

same thing happened to us .. charged us 5.65 qa gallon in rhinelandera nd after *** and *** aobu how they wher almost a dollar more than everyone all around they finally got caught and had to frefund us over 700 dollars .. freakin crooks

unlucky customer

Sep 03, 2013 Greeley, Colorado

They are doing the same thing in Colorado. They are charging almost 1.00 more per gallon than the other companies. Then when you want to have them remove the tank they almost threaten you with more charges. They also threatened to sue me or any other gas company that filled the tank. The explanation for the higher prices is that they give better service. Really.

Aug 15, 2013 Albany, New York

They did the same thing to me!!! I told them to get their tank and they charged me 100 dollars to come and pick up their tank!!! Im on an extremely tight budget and tried to get them to waive the fee but with no luck. Im so glad to be rid of them!!!

Mr. Gas

Jun 19, 2013 Allentown, Pennsylvania

After two years of displeasure and overpaying for Propane with Amerigas, I contacted local news Watchdogs they were able to help me purchase my Amerigas owned tank out-right. I was paying $3.29 per gallon where other local companies were charging $1.35-$1.75 per gallon. Needless to say I broke even on my tank purchase in 9 months. Amerigas was nasty each time I talked to them. Even teh first bill I paid they chatged me tax on propane which they are not supposed to for residential consumers. Never recived refund back after numerous complaints.

barb

Mar 05, 2012

WOW all these comments sound so familar, if you add the lock in price to present price your not saving. I was charged lock in price 112.00 locked in at 2.99 then I canceled. they credit my account and when it was time to order in march gas priced 3.59. now if ordered 200 gals 718.00. if i would locked in it would have been 598.00 then add the 112.00 lock in fee. 710.00 saving me 8.00 and I only order twice year. I ask them when there peak season was over. and they told me that if its cold for a day or so they raise the price and slowly lower it. I am tired of there grab. thirty propane is 1.79 gal. I ask them how could Amerigas charge over double for thiers they said because they can. and get by with it.

Emilyrose

Jan 04, 2012

I had Amerigas and that was the biggest mistake I have ever made. I was with another gas company and decided to use Amerigas. They gave me the first 400 gallons at the price of $1.99 and after that the price was $2.45. When my contract ended for the year they want $3.49 a gallon. I asked aren't communities going to be giving a special price. I was told very nasty the answer was no.
I went to another gas company and wanted the Amerigas tank to be removed plus they owed me $1,400.00 because when I first became a customer I paid them almost $3,000.00.
One phone call after another and no results. I finally went to my state rep and had them handle it.
They were going to charge $90.00 an hour to pump out the gas. The state rep had them pump it all out for the flat fee of $90.00 and after four months of calls I finally received the monies owed me.
I would rather freeze then ever go back to this company. The people that work in the Stroudsburg office are plain rude and nasty. They don't act professional at all. I would not recommend them to anybody.
Very pleased with the gas company I have. They are polite and answer any questions you have and they charge $2.55 a gallon. Big difference from from $3.49.
Amerigas is one company I would love to see go out of business. Stay with the smaller companies and be happier with the service.

JK

Dec 31, 2012 Randolph, New Jersey

I just purchased a home that has a 1,000 gallon Propane tank and use Amerigas. I'm very concerned with the 3 interactions I've had with them so far. What are our options as consumers? Amerigas owns the tank and other propane companies will only fill their own tanks. This clearly limits consumer freedomcomplaining it nearly impossible to switch companies. The only way out seems to be to have the tank dug up and to find another company. Any advice from the people that have dealt with Amerigas for a few years?
Also want to hear thoughts on the price lock? Can this be done without paying monthly fees? I was quoted at $450 a month and would rather pay per fill versus per month.
Thanks in advance.

lindaknitter

Oct 03, 2011

I have made several calls to Amerigas when my budget went up 60 dollars a month-I called and am getting so many different numbers I don;t know how they keep them straight--I was told the current price of gas is 4.03 a gallon and I am so lucky to be locked in at 3.45--after several phone calls to local gas companies I find the price per gallon is 2.86
Amerigas has us really screwed--am trying to figure out how to get their tank out of my yard...and switch to a gas company that is fair...when you heat with propane they are talking about 1000 dollars or more a year...my daughter called-she owns her tank-they told me it would be cheaper if you owned your tank-not so for her she is paying the same 3.45 per gallon--also made a call to see how much a new 500 gallon tank costs-just a mere 1500---unbelievable

I.N.

Mar 04, 2011 Lyman, South Carolina

You could have easily found another company and told Amerigas to pick up your tank. Any gallons in the tank would go back to them if you didn't want to pay for the gas. Sorry you had to go through several managers, however you have your price locked in. Quit your *** or find another provider if the company is that awful.

AmeriGas Customer Service

Jan 05, 2011

We are sorry to hear about your situation and apologize for your recent experience with AmeriGas. AmeriGas prides itself on providing our customers with the highest levels of customer service and we would like to help. At your convenience, please contact Fran directly via email at customerfirstfran@amerigas.com so we can promptly assist you with this issue. To better assist you, please provide your AmeriGas customer number, phone number or the address and zip code where your propane tank is located. Thank-You. AmeriGas Customer Service.

0 1 Reply
amerigas sucks my ass

Feb 17 Crandon, Wisconsin

u apologize... u people are ripping people off liek crazy and u got caught.. shouldnt cost over 2000 for 350 gallons of gas i hope u lose all your business and u deserve too.. could barely make ends meet getting charged outrageous prices ..

SNIPE609

Aug 05 Geneva, Ohio

RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF Just got done arguing with my local Amerigas office about pumpout fee's , I told them it was wrong and a ripoff! and that I paid them once for there gas in the tank and paid a rental fee yearly of $400 if you don't buy $400.00 worth of gas, when I first started getting gas from them a tank rental was $1.00 per year Save yourself the headache DON'T BUY FROM AMERIGAS buy from J P Gas in Huntsburg OH. I THINK IT'S TIME FOR OUR GOVERNMENT TO STEP IN AND REGULATE THESE COMPANIE'S NOTHING BUT A SCAM  / CONSUMER RIPOFF !!!!

Bill Buzzard

Oct 14, 2010

Amerigas in Indiana Pa. is RAPING ME Amerigas propane is 3.81 a gal. called around and THRIFTY PROPANE IS 2.03 a gal., SUBURAN IS 1.94 A GAL.,BEATY GAS is 2.49 a gal. Big differance right? Well this is not right. a lot of people are having a hard time paying their billsAND aMERIGASIS CHARGING what ever they want. Amerigas should be arested Amerigas must be owmed by a bunch *** eating queers stay away

KN

Mar 22, 2010

I am in a current fight overownership with Amerigas for an inground tank. They last charged me $2.95. Another group,Modern Gas offered $1.95/gal (www.moderngas.com). If you want to switch suppliers, contact Amerigas (or whomever) and give them 10 days to remove their tank (as required by PA law). A new supplier's replacement tank can be set up almost overnight.

joe  myers

Feb 25, 2010

know that EblondlalsATard works for Amerigas but will not admit it. This allows the company to hide and belittle anyone who complains. Like the cowards they are.

joe  myers

Feb 25, 2010

ebiondlalsATard works for Amerigas

Bob S

Feb 08, 2010

If you're in northeast PA, call Montour oil. After Amerigas charged me 4.90 a gal, I told them to remove their tanks. Montour came and moved Amerigas's full tanks to the roadside, Installed 2 tanks I purchased elsewhere for free, filled both tanks for 1.99 a gallon, and their regular price was 2.27 per gallon at the time. I refused to pay Amerigas, but had to call the Department of Labor and Industry to have Amerigas remove their tanks, since they refused to pick them up until spring. They have 10 days from date you terminated service to remove them. My brother has been with Montour for years and thought I was nuts when I told him how much I was paying with Amerigas. I have since been credited back for the propane I refused but was charged 90+ dollars for termination fee.

Murphy

Feb 07, 2010

Please get off your high horse EblondialsATard.

We all know propane and other fuels go up in the winter but when Amerigas charges me $4.59 and two of my neighbors with two different companies goes up a maximum .25. We all had propane delivered within same three days. My neighbors are not on auto fill or locked in. This is obvious gouging by Amerigas hoping that no one pays attention.

I called and they said I could lock in until June 30 for $2.91 and my bill would be adjusted retroactively. I did it but July 1 I will be having them back to remove the tank.

It irritates me because the guy that delivers it and the staff is outstanding but corporate is taking me away as a customer.

Amerigas is just upset when people do not lock is so they are screwing their customers. They know they have been caught red handed.

1-20 of 25 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Amerigas.
Filing a new complaint about
×