• show-popup

Product / Service Propane
Location Kalamazoo, Michigan
Category Utility
Views 394

We received our Amerigas bill and we were charged almost $2000.00 for 317 gallons of propane.We obviously thought it was a mistake, so we called and were told it was not a mistake, the going price for propane was $5.88 per gallon.

They even told us that it was normal for the price to fluctuate, especially in the winter. When I paid our bill 2 months previous, it was $2.39 a gallon. That is not fluctuation, it is gouging. We told them to take our tank away and that we were not going to pay our bill.

They then told us it would cost us $100 for them to do this. After speaking to three or four more managers, they finally told us they would lock us in at $2.39.

We are more than pissed that they tried to do this to us and will not drop it.We are telling as many people as we can about it. 308e8ee

Comments (23) Hide comments
Showing 20 of 23 comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Feb 20  from Noblesville, Indiana

2/20/2014
I am writing because our Propane bill tripled...this month.
It went from $474.31 to $1211.28.
They delivered 197 gallons on the 3rd of February 2014
And we were charged $5.639 per gallon. When I called the company the Manager, stated he could give us a price of $4.50. When I was not satisfied with this price, he stated the gas price for that particular day was $4.50 a gallon, that was the best he could do. So I asked "Than why were we charged $5.639 a gallon." And why was the client in the news cast below, given a price of $5.99 and then reduced to $3.00 a gallon? I also read where it was not legal to charge sales tax on the LP gas. Is this true??? We have a charge of $79.24 on this current bill for taxes. Also we are charged a HazMat Fee of $9.59, is this correct???? And a Fuel Recovery Fee of $7.62, is this correct???? I looked up current LP gas prices and saw a current News story so I clicked on it. I watched the news interviews from California, Channel 7, Ameri-Gas Customers stated they had been charged $5.99 a gallon. Ameri-gas stated to give them a call, and they would get their bill changed to $3.00 a gallon. Everything is almost double in California so why are they getting a better price than Indiana Customers????
Reply to Skeeter

Feb 17  from Crandon, Wisconsin
same thing happened to us .. charged us 5.65 qa gallon in rhinelandera nd after *** and *** aobu how they wher almost a dollar more than everyone all around they finally got caught and had to frefund us over 700 dollars .. freakin crooks
Reply to Anonymous

Sep 03, 2013  from Greeley, Colorado
They are doing the same thing in Colorado. They are charging almost 1.00 more per gallon than the other companies. Then when you want to have them remove the tank they almost threaten you with more charges. They also threatened to sue me or any other gas company that filled the tank. The explanation for the higher prices is that they give better service. Really.

Reply to unlucky customer

Aug 15, 2013  from Albany, New York
They did the same thing to me!!! I told them to get their tank and they charged me 100 dollars to come and pick up their tank!!! Im on an extremely tight budget and tried to get them to waive the fee but with no luck. Im so glad to be rid of them!!!
Reply to Anonymous

Jun 19, 2013  from Allentown, Pennsylvania
After two years of displeasure and overpaying for Propane with Amerigas, I contacted local news Watchdogs they were able to help me purchase my Amerigas owned tank out-right. I was paying $3.29 per gallon where other local companies were charging $1.35-$1.75 per gallon. Needless to say I broke even on my tank purchase in 9 months. Amerigas was nasty each time I talked to them. Even teh first bill I paid they chatged me tax on propane which they are not supposed to for residential consumers. Never recived refund back after numerous complaints.
Reply to Mr. Gas

Mar 05, 2012
WOW all these comments sound so familar, if you add the lock in price to present price your not saving. I was charged lock in price 112.00 locked in at 2.99 then I canceled. they credit my account and when it was time to order in march gas priced 3.59. now if ordered 200 gals 718.00. if i would locked in it would have been 598.00 then add the 112.00 lock in fee. 710.00 saving me 8.00 and I only order twice year. I ask them when there peak season was over. and they told me that if its cold for a day or so they raise the price and slowly lower it. I am tired of there grab. thirty propane is 1.79 gal. I ask them how could Amerigas charge over double for thiers they said because they can. and get by with it.
Reply to barb

Jan 04, 2012
I had Amerigas and that was the biggest mistake I have ever made. I was with another gas company and decided to use Amerigas. They gave me the first 400 gallons at the price of $1.99 and after that the price was $2.45. When my contract ended for the year they want $3.49 a gallon. I asked aren't communities going to be giving a special price. I was told very nasty the answer was no.
I went to another gas company and wanted the Amerigas tank to be removed plus they owed me $1,400.00 because when I first became a customer I paid them almost $3,000.00.
One phone call after another and no results. I finally went to my state rep and had them handle it.
They were going to charge $90.00 an hour to pump out the gas. The state rep had them pump it all out for the flat fee of $90.00 and after four months of calls I finally received the monies owed me.
I would rather freeze then ever go back to this company. The people that work in the Stroudsburg office are plain rude and nasty. They don't act professional at all. I would not recommend them to anybody.
Very pleased with the gas company I have. They are polite and answer any questions you have and they charge $2.55 a gallon. Big difference from from $3.49.
Amerigas is one company I would love to see go out of business. Stay with the smaller companies and be happier with the service.
Reply to Emilyrose

Dec 31, 2012  from Randolph, New Jersey
I just purchased a home that has a 1,000 gallon Propane tank and use Amerigas. I'm very concerned with the 3 interactions I've had with them so far. What are our options as consumers? Amerigas owns the tank and other propane companies will only fill their own tanks. This clearly limits consumer freedomcomplaining it nearly impossible to switch companies. The only way out seems to be to have the tank dug up and to find another company. Any advice from the people that have dealt with Amerigas for a few years?
Also want to hear thoughts on the price lock? Can this be done without paying monthly fees? I was quoted at $450 a month and would rather pay per fill versus per month.
Thanks in advance.
Reply to JK

Oct 03, 2011
I have made several calls to Amerigas when my budget went up 60 dollars a month-I called and am getting so many different numbers I don;t know how they keep them straight--I was told the current price of gas is 4.03 a gallon and I am so lucky to be locked in at 3.45--after several phone calls to local gas companies I find the price per gallon is 2.86
Amerigas has us really screwed--am trying to figure out how to get their tank out of my yard...and switch to a gas company that is fair...when you heat with propane they are talking about 1000 dollars or more a year...my daughter called-she owns her tank-they told me it would be cheaper if you owned your tank-not so for her she is paying the same 3.45 per gallon--also made a call to see how much a new 500 gallon tank costs-just a mere 1500---unbelievable
Reply to lindaknitter

Mar 04, 2011  from Lyman, South Carolina
You could have easily found another company and told Amerigas to pick up your tank. Any gallons in the tank would go back to them if you didn't want to pay for the gas. Sorry you had to go through several managers, however you have your price locked in. Quit your *** or find another provider if the company is that awful.
Reply to I.N.

Jan 05, 2011
We are sorry to hear about your situation and apologize for your recent experience with AmeriGas. AmeriGas prides itself on providing our customers with the highest levels of customer service and we would like to help. At your convenience, please contact Fran directly via email at customerfirstfran@amerigas.com so we can promptly assist you with this issue. To better assist you, please provide your AmeriGas customer number, phone number or the address and zip code where your propane tank is located. Thank-You. AmeriGas Customer Service.
Reply to AmeriGas Customer Service

Feb 17  from Crandon, Wisconsin
u apologize... u people are ripping people off liek crazy and u got caught.. shouldnt cost over 2000 for 350 gallons of gas i hope u lose all your business and u deserve too.. could barely make ends meet getting charged outrageous prices ..
Reply to amerigas sucks my ass

Oct 14, 2010
Amerigas in Indiana Pa. is RAPING ME Amerigas propane is 3.81 a gal. called around and THRIFTY PROPANE IS 2.03 a gal., SUBURAN IS 1.94 A GAL.,BEATY GAS is 2.49 a gal. Big differance right? Well this is not right. a lot of people are having a hard time paying their billsAND aMERIGASIS CHARGING what ever they want. Amerigas should be arested Amerigas must be owmed by a bunch *** eating queers stay away
Reply to Bill Buzzard

Mar 22, 2010
I am in a current fight overownership with Amerigas for an inground tank. They last charged me $2.95. Another group,Modern Gas offered $1.95/gal (www.moderngas.com). If you want to switch suppliers, contact Amerigas (or whomever) and give them 10 days to remove their tank (as required by PA law). A new supplier's replacement tank can be set up almost overnight.
Reply to KN

Feb 25, 2010
know that EblondlalsATard works for Amerigas but will not admit it. This allows the company to hide and belittle anyone who complains. Like the cowards they are.
Reply to joe myers

Feb 08, 2010
If you're in northeast PA, call Montour oil. After Amerigas charged me 4.90 a gal, I told them to remove their tanks. Montour came and moved Amerigas's full tanks to the roadside, Installed 2 tanks I purchased elsewhere for free, filled both tanks for 1.99 a gallon, and their regular price was 2.27 per gallon at the time. I refused to pay Amerigas, but had to call the Department of Labor and Industry to have Amerigas remove their tanks, since they refused to pick them up until spring. They have 10 days from date you terminated service to remove them. My brother has been with Montour for years and thought I was nuts when I told him how much I was paying with Amerigas. I have since been credited back for the propane I refused but was charged 90+ dollars for termination fee.
Reply to Bob S

Feb 07, 2010
Please get off your high horse EblondialsATard.

We all know propane and other fuels go up in the winter but when Amerigas charges me $4.59 and two of my neighbors with two different companies goes up a maximum .25. We all had propane delivered within same three days. My neighbors are not on auto fill or locked in. This is obvious gouging by Amerigas hoping that no one pays attention.

I called and they said I could lock in until June 30 for $2.91 and my bill would be adjusted retroactively. I did it but July 1 I will be having them back to remove the tank.

It irritates me because the guy that delivers it and the staff is outstanding but corporate is taking me away as a customer.

Amerigas is just upset when people do not lock is so they are screwing their customers. They know they have been caught red handed.
Reply to Murphy

Jan 29, 2010
I AM GOING TO CALL THE LOCAL NEWS STATIONS AND CONSUMERS PROTECTION OFFICE BECAUSE THIS IS A CRIME AGAINST CUSTOMERS AND STRUGGLING FAMILES. HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO FEED OUR FAMILIES WHEN THE PROPANE GAS COMPANIES ARE ROBBING US BLIND AND THEN THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT IS ROBBING US BLIND ON THE TAXES ON OUR HOMES. WHEN EVERYONE LOSES THEIR HOMES DUE TO THE ROBBERY OF THE GAS COMPANIES AND THE TAXES, WHAT IS IN STORE FOR PEOPLE LIVING IN PA EMPTY HOMES AND MULTIPLE HOMELESS SHELTERS BECAUSE THAT IS WHERE WE ARE ALL HEADING WITH THE TAX AND GAS PRICE GOUGING!!!
Reply to BEYGUM GOPAUL-SINGH

Jan 29, 2010
I CERECNTLY SIGNED UP WITH AMERIGAS BACK IN NOVEMBER AND MY PAPER WORK SAID IT WOULD BE 1.899 PER GALLON FOR THE FIRST DELIVERY AND $2.39 FOR THE REST OF THE WINTER HOWEVER, THEY MADE THE SECOND DELIVERY ON JANUARY 13, 2010 AND ARE CHARGING ME $630.95 FOR 201.9 GALLONS OF PROPANE. THIS IS PRICE GOUGING,AND ROBBERY. THEY ARE ROBBING THE CUSTOMERS BLIND WITH THESE KIND OF BILLING TATICS CUSTOMERS ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY ALL THE PROPANE GAS COMPANIES IN PENNSYLVANIA. HD DAVIS IS DOING THE SAME THING TO THE CUSTOMERS BECAUSE I AM A FORMER CUSTOMER OF THEM TOO. AS A CUSTOMER I FEEL AS THOUGH I AM BEING RAPED AT GUN POINT BY AMERIGAS
Reply to BEYGUM GOPAUL-SINGH

Read next Amerigas complaint

Corporate Greed. Local Propane company feeds on...

On behalf of my mother-in-law, I would like to state that Amerigas can be officially labeled as a co...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about Amerigas.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug