Filter by rating
State:
City:
Product:

Amerigas increased price by 50%

I have been a customer of Amerigas every since they took over Commonwealth Propane, around 12 years ago. I always paid my bill in full, and was never late. Every year, at least once, I would have to go to their local office, and argue with them over the price they were charging me for propane. This January was the final straw. My price went from $2.85 per gallon to $4.37 per gallon in one month. After arguing with them, and being informed the program I was on was no longer available, they did split the increase, and I "only" had to pay .75 per gallon increase. But they did not notify me about the program, or offer me another program in the middle of heating season. Bye-Bye Amerigas

Hi, my name is Fran and I work for AmeriGas. I’m sorry to hear about your issues with billing and would like to help you.

Please send your account details to me at customerfirstfran@amerigas.com so we can promptly assist you. Thank you, Fran

Amerigas in Kalamazoo, Michigan - Refused to deliver

I was told to call when the tank got at or below 40% especially if bad weather was expected. We called as when it was 40% and expecting bad weather. After repeated calls and promises from them that they would "be there soon" we eventually got down to 10% with even worse weather expected. After another call, we were told that because there was some snow near our garage, that the driver refused to deliver. I asked what would happen if I ran out of propane, the customer service man said, "That is too bad." I simply clear the area off more and hope that they deliver tommorrow, like they said they would. I am switching propane companies ASAP.

As frustrating as this was for you, I am aware of the other side. Amerigas does not enforce DOT laws but it does enforce employee safety.

The delivery man that shovels and gets hurt, loses a job. Bottom line.

Hello, my name is Fran and I work for AmeriGas. I’m sorry to hear about your situation with getting your tank filled.

If you send your account details to me at customerfirstfran@amerigas.com, we will work on assisting you with this issue. Thank you, Fran

Review
We have been using Amerigas for the past 10 yrs and I have to call their billing (local) dept each time they fill the tank. The clincher was in Sept. 2010. Amerigas filled the tank with 171 gallons in March and then claimed we used 172 gallons during the summer. We...

Long time customer @ Amerigas. Field people are well trained.

Cant't say anything but NEGATIVE comments re office staff & MGMT. We are switching to Farrell gas nxt.

mo. Cheaper & more efficient.

Amerigas: We'll Let You Freeze

In 2007, Amerigas bought out our local propane provider in Canon CIty, Colo. Since then, customer service has nose-dived. We have two houses with two tanks in rural location. Amerigas insisted on combining them on one account. Consequently, the driver typically comes, fills one, and forgets the other one. Then we have to call, and wait, and call, and hear empty promises, and wait -- all the time hoping that it doesn't snow, if it's winter time. We're dropping them--you can read the whole story here: http://natureblog.blogspot.com/2011/01/amerigas-well-let-you-freeze.html

I've seen the same boilerplate comment from "Fran" cut-and-pasted elsewhere. After dealing with the local office, the national so-called consumer service line, and the so-called national emergency line, why would I bother with "Fran"?

My name is Fran and I work for AmeriGas. I am sorry to hear about your issues with customer service and would like to help.

At your convenience, please contact me directly via email at customerfirstfran@amerigas.com so we can promptly assist you with this issue.

To better assist you, please provide your AmeriGas customer number, phone number or the address and zip code where your propane tank is located. Thank-You, Fran

Amerigas Account
used Amerigas because tank was here when we moved here, talked on the phone with someone and had propane delivered,no problem. then tues. we ran out no letter or anything called company they stated thecancelled us! I asked if I could pay 200 worth of gas they said no I...

If they concentrate on getting all the tanks picked up, thats less drivers out delivering fuel, so its a lose/lose. Also if you go with another company, it is COMMON procedure for that company to move the tank out of the way.

Most companies want to wait to pick up the tank until Spring, as to not mess up your yard, causing even more problems of course. Everyone has been through hard times, and unfortunately if a company helps every customer having trouble, they would no longer be in business. Just because they can't cater to every customer, doesnt mean they dont care.

Get a minimum fill and dont expedite if you cant afford the fee, you cant expedite them to bend if you arent willing to be understandable yourself. I couldnt afford all the gas and exp fee either, but if I couldnt, I wouldnt expend immediate delivery before every other customer.

Amerigas Gas Tank

Amerigas in Trenton, Michigan - 80yr old parents, subzero u.p. temps autofill, autopay no gas

Customer service rude, unhelpful. After being an autofill customer for more than ten years they took my parent off without telling them. Middle of January subzero temps in the upper peninsula of Michigan and " Our policy is no gas, we don't Care" if you are 80 years old. I was on the phone for more than an hour and a half with three or four different people, darn me anyway for not taking no for an answer. The tank comes out in the spring. I'll definitely google the next company before signing on. I wonder how long before pissedconsumer has more hits than amerigas?

Hi, my name is Fran and I work for AmeriGas. I’m sorry to hear about your issues with your tank and would like to help you.

Review

Amerigas: worst customer abuse in the USA?

Ive beena customer of Amerigas for 17 years, always paid my bills the day I received them. They kept increasing my bills (to punish me for being a loyal customer I suppose) until I noticed they billed me the gallon of propane 40% more than their competitor charged for it. Then one day I called them and told them there was a huge smell of propane in my rental house. They told me to evacuate the renters immediately, that they were sending a technician urgently. I put the renters in a hotel. One week later, no one from Amerigas had come. I called them, They said "Oh, we forgot to tell the driver to go to your house." No apologies. Then I complained about the high price of propane, pointed that their competitor was 40% cheaper. THey told me they would reduce the price. THe next bill came: even higher than the bill before. I called the manager, she said she would not honor her promise. I told her to cancel the account and stop the deliveries. Next thing I know I receive an invoice for a new delivery (entering the property without my permission) and the propane charged at an all time high rate!!. ITHen I tell them Im not going to pay for gas I never ordered. They never replied to my letter and are sending me invoices with late fees added!! A true horror story..... Then I post a first complaint on this site. Ten days later I get an email from "CustomerFirstFran@Amerigas.com saying "we want to help you. Write to us. That was ten days ago. I email this person a full description of what happened. I never heard back!!! My email was not even acknowledged... Talk about adding insult to injury... I was reading today that the latest survey shows that 65% customers expect complaints like this to be dealt with within 24 hours. I happen to run a management consulting firm helping companies improve their customer service! Irony... Amerigas is a customer service expert's dream.! Its a source of perfect examples of how to freak out customers fast and hard. I just filed a complaint with the BBB and will write to the Amerigas CEO and CMO. I will also write tomorrow to the California Attorney General for consumer affairs, and a few other agencies. ast but not least, Im going to blog about this, as the material is too good to pass. Amerigas, why are you doing this to yourself? What you are doing is reputational suicide, and you are choosing it. Take it from an expert in customer service: how you treat people is extreme. There are just no case studies in textbooks that tell the kind of hardship you inflict on people. You are writing the book on customer abuse.

Hi, this is Fran from AmeriGas. I’m sorry to read that you are having issues with billing.

I’d like to assist and help you as soon as possible – please email me at customerfirstfran@amerigas.com with your account details so we can look into your situation. Thanks, Fran

So you have a blog that gets hundreds of thousands of views huh? More like your whining gets lost in the background noise just like every other loser blog out there.

Can you please blog about how it's Amerigas fault that you didn't lock your price in? Prices don't fluctuate at all if you do that, which you've already been told twice now but still don't seem to understand.

The problem is that you seem to want to assign some malicious intent to the things that have happened to you. You seem to think, for example, that Amerigas knowingly delivers to people who don't want gas. What actually happens is that someone makes an honest mistake and doesn't remove you from automatic deliveries correctly, or misreads a delivery ticket. I know this is a shocking concept, but the people who work at Amerigas are human beings just like everyone else, and sometimes they make mistakes. But no, you think there is some evil dictator of propane sitting around waiting for you to be removed from forecast so he can squeeze a few extra gallons into your tank.

It sucks if you had a bad experience, but get a grip dude. Amerigas is not out to get you. They didn't get to be the biggest propane company by purposely filling the wrong tank or price gouging. You have no understanding of what the business is really like, just the few things you've imagined in your head from what you've seen as a customer.

Amerigas is the only company who has people who come and post online in support their unethical practices. This in itself says a lot about the moral and ethical capital, or lack thereof of this company. They do not realize the damage of this activity to their reputational capital.

Additionally these people seem to be largely uneducated and unable to understand the issues. People like me do not complain about the prices fluctuating, they complain about the prices fluctuating consistently 40% above the competitors' prices!!

And we complain about Amerigas breaching their own promises and agreements

And we complain about unethical behaviors, like continuing to deliver gas and charging at even higher prices even after you have cancelled your agreement.

And for those who do not believe that our complaints have ab impact, they are dead wrong. Some of us, bloggers who have influence online, can get read by hundreds of thousands of people, and the mainstream news media picks up our complaints and publishes them in the mainstream press, which in turn, contributes to adjusting Amerigas' reputational capital to its right size, and to help people who have a choice in selecting a vendor make the right choice.

Im gonna have to agree with the last comment and instead of complaining, if you were a customer that long you were well aware that if your not locked in the price fluptuates so really if its that much of an issue stop crying about it and do something about it, its not their job to make these decisions for you, or keep blogging and crying about it, either way HILARIOUS and no one cares! hahaha

The stupidity of the customers here is mind boggling. Prices fluctuate up in the winter and down in the summer for propane.

Gee, who would've thought? Lock your price in like a non-retard and it won't fluctuate at all. Also, who blogs about something like this?

Someone without a life or a decent job to take up their time, that's who. Hahaha, losers.

I too had the same experience with their bills. Each bill was higher than the last and when I checked prices they were almost double the competition.

Their answer when I called was that gas prices fluctuate! Funny how the prices only "fluctuate" in one direction, UP! Each time I called, I was given the run around. When I threatened to have the tank removed, they adjusted the price.

The next bill, even higher!

Wash, rinse, repeat! This company is the worst!

View more comments (5)
Loss

Amerigas - Worst Customer Service of All Time

I had an inquiry about a bill I had received from Amerigas. The amount is for $135.60. Earlier, I had received a bill for a tank rental. Usually I call the store and schedule a fill up and they remove the tank rental. The lady said she would take care of it and schedule a fill up within the next few days. That is indeed what happened. I received a bill for the gas and went by the store on 12/29/2010 to make the payment. I paid with a check (#5866). This check has not cleared my account and I wanted to know why since I dropped it off personally at the local store. I thought everything was square with us until I received this other bill in the mail for $135.60. I went by the store today (Garner, NC) during my lunch hour to inquire about the bill. I cannot explain how rudely I was treated. You can certainly take loyal and dedicated local employees off the list of "unique benefits" that Amerigas claims to offer. I got out of my vehicle and went to the door at 12:40 and discovered the door was locked. There was a sign posted displaying business hours were from 8:00am to 5:00pm. Under that was posted closed. Also, posted beside that was a piece of green construction paper saying closed for lunch from 12:00-1:00. I looked in the window and saw a woman sitting at the counter. I tapped on the glass door, and she made hand motions to me with a "1" as if to say we are closed and I'm not opening up the door or accepting customers. I went back to my truck, drove down the street and stopped at a local restaurant for some lunch. I thought I would get a quick *** and then go back. I arrived back at the store at 1:20. Again, I got out of the truck and went to the door. It is still locked and showing closed on the little sign. The same woman and two others are in the store. Again, I tapped on the window. This time she wheeled around and made annoyed hand gestures again to me with a total disgusted look as if to say I have told you once that we are closed and you need to get out of here until I am ready to open this door back up. I pointed to my watch and the green sign as if to say it is past 1:00. She then pointed above the door to another little paper clock with movable hands that looked like it was pointing to 1:30. She turned away to talk to the other women and then would not even acknowledge my presence. I have never been treated so rudely. I don't know what kind of business is being run here, but every business that I have ever been associated with have their employees take staggered lunches and the business is covered for customer service during the whole day's operation. There is no call for this. After this, I dialed your customer service number and made a complaint. The person taking my call stated they would forward my complaint to the manager and I asked that he call me. I left my cell number (919)616-1857. I would like for someone to call me so that my bill can be settled. I feel I have made a good faith attempt to handle this. I certainly do not expect to have to endure this type of poor customer service from any other Amerigas employees. Today is January, 21, 2011. This episode occurred on January 10, 2011. My check for the gas I purchased has finally cleared my checking account on January 12, 2011 in which I paid in person on December 29, 2010. At this point, no one from management has even bothered to call me about this or clear my account.

yes am out of gas and cant get gas no where and i cgave money down and made payment plans just to have amerigas say no sorry cant help you i have noheat no gas for cooking and i dont have a microwave to make a meal so for three weeks now i have not ate right,am cold ,hungry,and angry and am getting sick where do i get gas

Service
Amerigas Customer Care
I bought a property that was currently being serviced by Amerigas; it has a 1000gal tank and a 500gal tank. Moreover, we updated the kitchen stove to gas and a commercial unit at that, and we re-did the built in pool and expect to use the 'heater' out there on...

good for you... I think a lot of these big companies started off with good leadership and then somewhere along the way got too big....And probably the owner is so rich now he doesnt care about the few people that complain..

My hats off to you though, boycott the suns of ***.....from Maine.... I have trouble with propane companies up here too.

Service
Amerigas Tank Refill

AMERIGAS LET OUR TANK RUN DRY

You prepay your account, they use your money and do not deliver the goods. Customer Service told me to pay a plumber to come out and drain our pipes so they would not freeze. After 4 calls, the delivery driver called me and came out to fill our tank. The Richmond, VA manager FINALLY called me back and will not speak with me now so we can resolve the matter. Most of the time they do not answer their phone. I can not complain about the delivery person. He was great and understood and did not blame me for beibng angry. I would love to be able to locate the Richmond, VA's boss and give him a few words about their company and what they do not provide. We are looking at another provider. I will not recomment AmierGar to anybody!!!!!

Are you assuming "fran" actually works for Amerigas? LOL like there's no way it could be a spam to get your information??

hahahhahaha.

We are so sorry about your situation that we copy/pasted this form letter onto your complaint. Non personalized and generic spam messages really show our customers how much we care about them. Nothing says customer service like an automated response!

Thank-You. AmeriGas Customer Service.

View more comments (2)