2.0

The following is the history of my horrible experience with Amerigas propane, and how I was able to remedy a terrible situation.

In December 2014 I was a customer of Amerigas. I received a fill from Amerigas (approx. 140 gallons). The invoice arrived a few days later, and, the price per gallon on the invoice was $4.289 / gallon). I called to complain about their exorbitant price.

They were very nice to send me a revised invoice, with a price per gallon of $3.799 per gallon. A bit better, but not much.

In late December 2014, Amerigas’ wholesale price was approx. $0.76 per gallon.

In mid-January I received another fill from Amerigas (approx. 140 gallons). The price per gallon for this fill was $4.059 per gallon. Amerigas’ price per gallon is going up, while their wholesale price for propane is going down.

In mid-January, Amerigas’ wholesale price was approx. $0.68 per gallon.

In mid-February I received another fill from Amerigas (approx. 200 gallons). The price per gallon for this fill was $4.329 per gallon. I called Amerigas to complain about their exorbitant price for propane. I was advised by the local Amerigas representative that “No - that’s the correct price, and you need to pay it.”

In mid-January, Amerigas’ wholesale price was approx. $0.86 per gallon.

In my estimation, a fair price for a gallon of propane during this period would have been $1.70 per gallon. That’s 2x their wholesale price.

By my estimation - the total of Amerigas’ overcharging is as follows:

Date Price/gal Gals Cost($)

====== ====== ==== ========

$1.70 $340.00 $2.63 $525.80

===== ====== ====== =======

Totals $816.00 $1,149.92

________________________________________________

So how do you deal with a thief who consistently over charges for a commodity product?

The solution I came up with was to - Buy my own propane tank, and have installed in my yard. I can then fill it with propane from any supplier, and, shop around for a better price.

A new 500 gallon propane tank cost me: $999.00

Install cost was: $198.00

New pressure regulators were: $108.00

=======

Total cost (installed): $1,305.00

The company I purchased the tank from filled it with 425 gallons of propane, @$1.169 per gallon.

Total propane cost: $496.83

Total cost for everything: $1,801.83

So for less than what it cost me in propane for last winter’s heating season, I now have a new tank and a much cheaper cost per gallon for propane.

I cannot recommend strongly enough - Buy your own propane tank.

Shop around for the best price for propane.

And kick Amerigas to the curb - where they should be.

Reason of review: Pricing issue.

Preferred solution: No solution needed..

Amerigas Cons: Customer service and price gouging.

Comments

I could not have said it any better myself...that is exactly what I did also

I agree. If you own your own home you should own your tank. They will try like *** to persuade you to lease because it is a license to steal and completely eliminates any competition

Amerigas Reviews