Delton, Michigan
1.4K views

Wow! They just told me that they were going to charge me $100 to remove the tank that they own! I'm amazed too! I haven't received the bill yet but I was told to expect it! I thought this was America and we should receive "product" for our money. Their prices were extremely excessive so I made the obvious choice. Go with a company that charges the least for the same product. What would anybody else do? Not only was I overcharged for the product but apparently they have been having troubles with too many people leaving them and now they are charging people as they leave regardless as to whether or not they delivered "competitive" product. I mean, if cost was my reason for leaving, shouldn't they be trying to improve their product and delivery instead of scalping their customers as they depart ; without any compensating product? Why do they have a department called "Retention Department". Is it possible they need this department to try to talk people out of leaving? That's what I'm thinking, what would you think?

I called them (approximately July 31, 2011) and explained that their rates were much higher than their competitions rates for my area. After trying to negotiate with them I realized the only way out was to go with their competition! I told them that I was purchasing a fresh tank from another supplier on that date. I purchased another propane tank from another supplier and had it placed parallel to AmeriGas' tank so I could use up the propane that I just purchased from AmeriGas before hand. In September of 2011 they send out a form letter saying that they have just decided to start charging people $100.00 for picking up their own hardware. I could understand this if they had been delivering product at a competitive quality and rate. But their service is poor and their price is over the top! For example they need to have $112 as their lock-in rate. I found another supplier who would do it for $50. Their prices were considerably higher for each gallon as well. Even after the one-year introductory rate they are not competitive. This quite literally pushed me away from them! And now they feel it is ethical to charge me for removing their own equipment???? What's wrong with this picture?

As I spoke to one of their "Retention Department" managers I stated my case and asked her if she believed it was ethical. She said exactly this "it doesn't matter if it's ethical, it's our company policy". I was shocked! I asked her to say it again very slowly. And she repeated it! This is their "Retention Department "? Unbelievable!

Additionally she told me that other gas companies were doing the same thing. So I went ahead and "Googled" "Propane company $100 to pick up tank" and guess what, you guessed it, AmeriGas came first with only one other complaint regarding a $75 charge for the same thing.

My point in general is that this charge is not a result of product delivered. This charge is a result of disappointed customers leaving because of poor product pricing, service, and delivery.

And it is just absolutely unequivocally wrong! And they need to re-examine the concept of "Customer Care". And since they are of the pioneers of this new charge I'd hope that more people will gather so the market doesn't allow it to become a protocol.

As consumers we should not be punished for leaving a service provider when we are treated badly! If we were treated well during our business together then my opinion of course would be different!

Product or Service Mentioned: Amerigas Gas Tank.

Comments

Same thing is happening to me. I never even purchased gas from them.

The tank was there from the previous home owner.

They tacked on late fees after I explained why I shouldn't have to pay after two phone calls. Now they've sent me to a collections agency.

My phone has not been working as it should..Guess it is as pissed as I am.,The fact is that these propane companies do not wish to reimburse you for the high prices you had to pay in the dead of Winter when you have no choice ..That must be way these so -called pop-up fees arise ,that were never mentioned before...It is merely a way to try to discourage you from cutting the umbilical cord,,

Pep-up is threatening to charge me 200 to get them to take their tank.,I will not be renewing the lease that I signed in June of 2017.Not going to deal with propane any longer than I have to..Say too expensive! I will tell them that I will charge them to keep their tank on my property..The cheap they cone up with when you no longer wish to deal with them is REDICULOUS!

I've been told I need to dig up their tank! The girl told me if I kept the tank with 100 gallons in it for my propane powered emergency generator and didn't use much propane, that they would charge me rent on the tank!

I told her that its her tank on MY property, so I would charge them storage! Silence......Kinda like your computer screen going blank.

@Anonymous

So what were the results. I’m having same exact issue. She told me they have 90 days to pick up there tank therefore I didn’t know if I could charge them storage or not

AmeriGas is a publicly traded master limited partnership (NYSE: APU)

But you wouldn't think much of them if you were their customer

Amerigas Watsonville, CA has been overcharging us over $4 a gallon(January 2015) even though we have been with them for over a decade and a half.

We found out we could get it from Ferrellgas for over $2 less per gallon.

We switched and the AmeriGas tank was put conveniently on the bottom of our road for them to pick up but they said it would take 4-6 weeks to come get it ?????? guess they are not worried about metal scrappers.

They said they were charging $95 to pick it up !!!! even though they were saved a couple hours work

Amazing

mike

I live on a very steep embankment , if the tank is not picked up it could end up in the woods at the bottom of the hill , they will earn thier $100 pickup fee. Plus i will charge a $10 per day storage fee for every day that it remains on my property !

I can play the game too ! why isnt there a class action suit against these corrupt clowns?

@mike

They told me they have 90 days to pick up their tank. Can I still threaten to charge them storage

Notyourgasman!!! You are wrong! Been with them for seven years! Shouldn't need a contract after that much time! But we never had a contract to begin with !!! It's too much work to keep changing gas companies!!!!

You're trying to say that your customers would go through all of that hassle just for a mild discrepancy in prices?? You are so mistaken!

Hello AmeriGas???? Is anybody home???? Is anybody over there concerned AmeriGas goodwill?? Not spitting nails so the customer has to duck while they plead for mercy???

Stop defending your price increase! It's still unjustified! You have to learn to let your customers go! You're just making AmeriGas look worse than they already do!!! Better quit while you are behind!!!!

Just let your customers go! You'll be far better off! At least you have a second chance! You get them angry and you won't even have that!

You know why they charge this? Because every year, losers have a tank set, then the next year they have that tank picked up so they can take advantage of another company's new customer price.

You signed a contract! Isn't this America? Do contracts not mean anything? They have to pay for someone to pick up the tank that you wanted set and signed a contract for.

Wait until next year when the company you're with charges you a higher price since you're an existing customer. If any propane company charged the low price you're getting to all of their customers, they would go out of business.

They all charge a lower price to new customers and a higher price to existing customers. Wait until you have an emergency and some untrained local propane guys doesn't know what to do, even if you can get a hold of him.

@Notyourgasman

well here i am 6 years later and still happy with my new gas company. They show up when the tank is low and refill me and the price has remained consistent with market price

#431924

The following is only "Window Dressing", a "Form Letter" to candy coat their cusomer service! Two weeks ago I sent her a letter asking if she even exists and I still haven't recieved a response! If she truly wanted to help it's clear she would respond immediately at any opportunity when customers doubt!

"Hi, this is Fran from AmeriGas. I’m sorry to read that you are having issues with service and billing. We’d like to assist and help you as soon as possible – please email me at customerfirstfran at amerigas dot com with your account details so we can look into your situation. Thanks, Fran"

#431909

I am finding out the same thing. And on top of it I called 11 weeks ago and they still have not picked up the tank!

Amerigas Reviews