East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania

I have been a Amerigas customers for 12 years. The last situation with them left me without propane on a Sunday in January when the temperature was 12 degrees.

I ran out of gas due to their negligence and poor computer and clerical error. My bill was paid a week early and I was on a budget plan. A few months prior they tried to increase my monthly budget from $330 to $550. I told them I could not afford that and they agreed to keep my budget plan since my usage never left me with a high balance.

I was concerned that the change was going to kick me off the budget plan and subsequently my automatic delivery. I was assured that it was not. I received a delivery in November and it seemed fine. Then I wake up on a Sunday in January with no gas.

The emergency line says they cannot help me unless I pay them upfront for the gas and past due amount of $412 which they say was my January payment and late fees that they didn't receive ( a week early it was paid thru my bank account) . Also I needed to fill the tank all 500 gallons! So $ 1833 later, they insist that I can fix it with my local manager on Monday! To top it off my tank need a regulator repair and the tech said it probably was leaking gas!

Monday comes and I am on the phone with several people only to get a look into it and call back tomorrow!!! I am so upset I filed a complaint with the attorney generals office in pa. I will join a class action suit against them if anyone here has one! I did not know how to respond to another person who mentioned it.

Please contact me if you read this! Thank You

Product or Service Mentioned: Amerigas Gas Tank.

Comments

I see ... tough spot. Your Amerigas supplier with no competition = fat, dumb and happy.

After seeing how these guys operate, I got rid of my propane system. I cut my cost in half and expect the new system to pay for itself in 5 to 6 years. (not counting increased value in the house).

The contracts that people sign to rent tanks, is mind boggling. As I understand it, in several states the AG got involved and stopped some of the practices based on restraint of trade (as they should). In the end, the propane companies will learn, the pigs get slaughtered. As a business owner, I am not fond of government regulation, but these fools are begging for it.

Regarding underground tanks, I see a class action in their near future.

If you move, good luck! From my experiences with houses I've owned (in the NorthEast), natural gas is by far the best choice if it's available and propane is the worst.

In the meantime, you may want to consider a pellet stove as an option to reduce your propane usage. I have neighbors that cut their propane usage from 1500 gallons a year to 400 (3000sf new house, good insulation). The system is so efficient, the exhaust is a simple circular cut through the wall. You have to put pellets in it every day or two, and therefore a bit of work, but it sure made my neighbor happier than buying from Amerigas!

#419641

Unfortunately it's not that easy. That quote was from a few years back, not even sure what the going rate is.

I live in the mountains and they are almost the only game left in town. Older homes here use oil heat and coal stoves. The last competing company went bankrupt and left people with no gas that they prepaid for and never reimbursed. I am sure that made Amerigas happy since they picked up their customers.

Hopefully I will be moving from this area soon. I will make sure my next residence doesn't come with an Amerigas contract!

If you can be rid of Amerigas for $500, do it!!!

Then buy your own tank. You already paid for the one you have many times - probably every year you have bought from Amerigas.

If the reason to rent is because they inspect/maintain it for you ... well, you see how that worked out!

I am sure that you are the same person with a new login in. I will humor you with a response.

Getting a delivery at the next to last day of the month of November and running out of gas in 47 days! I2 years with the same tank and you think I have no idea how much it holds and how long it lasts?

If you do not have a problem with Amerigas I suggest you find another place to comment. I am going to spend my time in the pursuit of a fair solution and I will use any and all means possible to alert the public about the deceptive practices of Amerigas.Based on their complaints I am sure I will not have any trouble finding support.

Pumpkinynoodle

Well I have no choice since they own the tank will charge you $500 to dig it up and remove it. A budget plan is set up with automatic delivery.

My last delivery was only a month ago and it has been unseasonably warm this winter. You missed the part where I paid my bill early and they claim to have lost track of it! Not to mention when they delivered the gas a repair was needed that caused my tank to leak. The regulator was broken by the previous delivery.

So they failed to fix their equipment and left me out in the cold! Smaller companies here have required prepayment and went bankrupt leaving the majority of customers with no gas and no recourse. You obviously work for this corrupt company.

You can keep your free advice cause it is worthless! The name of this site is pissed consumer so if you don't relate to my frustration then you belong on a site called delusional!

John N

You are supposed to check the propane tank occasionally yourself, especially when you have a spell of cold weather.

However, whenever you deal with a large company with no real customer service like Amerigas, you have problems just waiting to happen.

Best to get your propane from a local or small dealer if at all possible. check around.

even if it costs more per gallon, at least you can get help when you need it. With Amerigas, you obviously cannot.

Amerigas Reviews