Bluemont, Virginia

I have been an Ameriga customer for 27 years. In October I recieved a large delivery of propane and the bill was $638.00.

I have recently become disabled and Social Securiy is my only income. Therefore I can't pay the bill in one lump sum. I asked customer service if I could pay for the gas in 4 payments. They said no, that I would have to sign a contract and then pay them $150 per month all year.

That totals $1800, or about 3 tanks of gas and I only use one tank of gas per year. Why should I pay them $1800 per year when I only use about $650 of gas in one year? I wrote to them that I would pay the the $638 and then after that i could pay $50 them per month toward future deliveries. They ignored my request, added $30 per month in late fees ($90), and an "invoice fee" of $107.58!

Whats an "invoice fee"? Also they turned it over to a collection agency even tho I have made 3 payments in 3 months! So far I have paid $360 towards the original $638 bill, but with all the added late charges, etc I still have a $476.00 balance. Only $160 of my $360 I have paid them has gone towards my balance!!!!

That means they have added $200 in fees onto my bill between Sept - Dec.Is this anyway to treat a disabled person who has been a customer for 27 years? Has anyone else had this experience with Amerigas?

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Jan 09, 2010.

Comments

I have not been in the habit of checking my bill,usually no more athan quick glance. I've been on auto pay for 10+ years and I agreed to a locked in relationship years ago.

This past fall I glanced a bill which struck me as much higher than normal. I had been paying 1.799 for several years. I called my contact who ahs always been very helpful and asked him why it was so high this time. He told me my contract had expired and that my new rate was 2.589.

As shocked as I was that they had not bothered to call me I was even more shocked that the lock in charge was another $109.00.When amortized out based on pervios years useage this was another 20 cents/gal,making my ER,effective rate 2.789, not including atnk rental fees! I know the cost of gas has risen but this much?? So I called around( I hate spending my time on things like this) what I found was eye opening.

no lok in fee,no tank rental fee,effective rate of 1.829 5 cents for autopay and and 7 cents for prebuy. So look around and most importantly "inspect what you expect"

Thank-You. AmeriGas Customer Service.

I was customer of Amerizgas for 8 years and have a 1,000 gallon tank. When it came time to anty up with AMerigas in August, I called to tell them I could only pay half the bill and would pay the other half the following month - they said fine but would have to take me off the budget for being late and that I would have to pay cash for my propane.

I requested to purchase the tank which is buried and they said no - I could spend the money to excavate the tank and they would come pick it up. They quoted me 1.86 a gallon to lock in back in September. I told them I could get it for a lot cheaper and they didnt care saying they do not match other pricing.

Make no mistake - Amerigas does not care about your or for that mattter trying to be fair. Go Ferral gas as they will match any competitors price.