I had my 500 gal propane tank filled Oct 7,'09 by Amerigas for $1.50.9 @ gal ($438.66 w/tax). It ran down and I had to get 390 gallons delivered today, Jan 8,'10. The driver didn't know the cost so I called Amerigas and was told it is $3.30 @ gal before taxes! I owe them $1330.11! I asked how it could be over twice as much and was told the driver made a mistake and had charged me commercial rate in October.

I called Goodrich Gas and they said they charge $2.15 @ gal over 200 gallons. I called the Attorney Gen's office and was told that if Amerigas owns the tank, it can't be regulated.

I called Amerigas back to see if there was a mistake and was assured there wasn't. I asked how much it would cost if I owned the tank and Amerigas didn't and was told that it wouldn't matter, it would cost the same. How can Amerigas, the nations #1 supplier of propane, be $1.15 @ gallon more than Goodrich? Where is the current market value in this?

I am single, I am unemployed, and this has knocked the wind out of me! I have always had at least 30% of propane left in the spring and I know that it has been cold, but to have such outrageous prices in such a hard time is too much of a shame. I was given the option to come in and get put on a 6 month payment plan, but I will send in the full amount and find a different supplier next time.

I am sure Amerigas will charge an outrageous charge to pick up the tank as they do when you have to pay for a gas leak check that most suppliers don't charge for. I don't know if I signed a contract with Amerigas, but I think I had to sign something so Amerigas could charge me $60 or $65 for lease of the tank. This company is hurting a lot of people and needs to be investigated.

Product or Service Mentioned: Amerigas Gas Tank.

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from Jan 09, 2010.

Comments

Thank-You. AmeriGas Customer Service.

I too am a customer of amerigas and have been for 8 years, they own the take at my house as well. I got propain in october at 2.78 a gallon and when I just requested a delivery this time I was floored as well when they told me the cost.

After thinking about it I called back to clarify the increase and the amount I was being charged 5.44 a gallon and pre paid for 100 gallons, I asked why the increase and they basically told me they charge every customer different based on status and usage amount. Tried to give me some *** about the cost of business going up. To top it off when it was actually delivered they e-mailed me a bill and I found out that they had charged me 6.11 a gallon .

Unbelievable. I am not done with this complaint yet.