We called AmeriGas to fill our tank last Wednesday 9/15. Today, a week later, they finally arrived to fill our tank. They proceeded to fill the tank and then placed a lock on it, left us a $400 bill for the propane and a notice for us to call the local office, and left. When we called, they advised that we needed a leak test because the level in the tank was low. The cost of the leak test is $90. We were advised that the test would have been $40 had we been home but since they have to come back out, there's a $50 trip charge. My husband was home during the delivery and his car was in the driveway. They did not knock or ring the bell. Until the $90 is paid, they will not schedule the leak test and until the leak test is performed, they will not take the lock off the tank. I cannot cook and have no hot water and have 2 small children (7 mo and 3.5 years) at home to care for. I was advised by the local office that it could be up to a week until the leak test can be completed. We have paid the $90 and are now waiting for someone to call us to schedule the leak test. We are at the mercy of the repairman's schedule.

How can the delivery man arbitrarily make a decision to put a lock on a person's take with no warning? Is this not a health concern? Certainly if I had just opted to not pay my bill and had no way to cook or bathe my children, DSS would be poking around and wondering why. Do they do this in the winter, also, leaving people with no heat? Why do I have to pay to maintain equipment that they own? What in the world does the $60/year rental fee cover if not maintenance? I guess it doesn't get us much more than an old, rusted, leaky eyesore in our yard.

The bill for the gas we can't use is due in 2 weeks. AmeriGas is the WORST.

Review about: Amerigas Gas Tank.

Had an Experience with Amerigas?

Comments

In reguard to the earlier comment,

StupidCustomers, on 16-10-2010 12:35,

You are right about the law, although it is federal not state, but woefully ignorant about why. The only reason to leak check the system is to verify that the system is "tight", no leaks. Your comment about "air" in the lines is wholly wrong. It is a sealed system, no air, no appliance flair ups, no explosions. When a system loses pressure due to being turned off or tank running empty, the possibility for new leaks is higher. SO....get your fact right before YOU go on the internet, poopoo head.

We are sorry to hear about your situation and apologize for your recent experience with AmeriGas.AmeriGas prides itself on providing our customers with the highest levels of customer service and we would like to help.

Thank-You.AmeriGas Customer Service.

call at 30% to have plenty of time to get you routed.take into consideration the weather and if the drive is cleared to make the delivery.

people do not realize the trucks are not 4 wheel drive and the liquid in the bult tank surges and can cause the truck to roll over.the leak check and leak test are required for your safety.

Ashton-Under-Lyne, England, United Kingdom #219722

This company is a complete rip off.They told us $150 on top of our gas because we "let" the gas run out because we couldn't afford it at 20%.

*** these *** of *** and all the shills on this site defending them.

My children are are freezing, we can't bathe, or cook.Thanks *** HEADS!

#201130

The leak check is REQUIRED BY STATE LAW any time there is an interruption in service (running out of gas, turning off the tank, etc).The reason is because if the air isn't cleared out of your lines, your appliances can have flare ups or it can even cause an explosion.

Would you rather have your children cold for a few days, or dead from a propane explosion?Think things through next time before posting *** nonsense on the internet.

#201108

YOUR TANK WAS FOUND OUT OF GAS AND THE DRIVER LOCKED IT OFF FOR SAFETY. IF YOU CALL FOR PROPANE AT 30% (NOT) WHEN YOU ARE OUT! THIS WILL TAKE CARE OF THE PROBLEM.

to GASMAN #1272342

Safety my foot. It is just another way for the Propane Companies to rip you off.

Lyman, South Carolina, United States #196842

Call 1-800-427-4968 and file your complaint there. They will be able to help sort it out with your office.

The leak check is required for your safety. They test all of appliances in you home that use gas, not the tank.