We have been with Amerigas for 16 years, consumed a lot of propane and paid all our bills on time. Since we own our tank, we could have had any supplier refill it.

We did not watch the bills, and just had automatic refill. We just found out that Amerigas had been raising our rates, to the point where they were 50% above the local competition.

Buy your tank, its cheaper, and get a bid every time from several suppliers. Also we canceled the automatic refill. They still came to the property and refilled the t ank.

They billed us for a volume that is just not plausible as the house was empty and the only consumption was the pilot light of the water heater for 45 days. Amerigas is shoddy company using deceptive practices with its most loyal customers.

We have written today to their CEO, to the Better Business Bureau and to the State Attorney General of our state to complain and ask for dismissal of our latest, ridiculous bill. Do the same, take action.

Product or Service Mentioned: Amerigas Tank Refill.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Nov 18, 2010.

Comments

$4.97 per gallon for a contract customer that buys over 1000 gallons per year????!?!!

Customer service: How about saving me the trouble and aggravation of checking your competition to find you are $1.43 above the state average. (7 options in my area alone)

Nothing personal, customer service, but I really have no desire to call you and go through this every time you refill me.

Thank-You. AmeriGas Customer Service.

You did good buying your tank.Getting a bid is good, or try to negotiate a deal for the season. Forgetting to order and running out can cost you a lot more than you save.

If your pilot was on the water heater, it was also heating the water unless you turned the control to pilot only, so you will still be heating the water and using gas. I would send any correspondence by e-mail as you have documentation of it.

If you notified them not to deliver and have the documentation, I wouldn't pay the bill. They can't shut off a customer owned tank.