Hillman, Michigan

I have been an AmeriGas customer for the past 9 years (under contract for the first 2). Last year, I was shocked to learn from neighbors after a town meeting that I was paying WAY more for propane than any of them.

It was going to be a hassle to change propane company's because the tank was hard to get to (had to go on the neighbors land), but I didn't want to pay the outrageous prices that AmeriGas was charging me any longer. So, the first thing I did was call AmeriGas to see if they would work with me since I was a loyal customer who had always paid them on time. After about an hour of complaining to several different people they worked with me to lower my price so that it was more comparable to what the neighbors were paying (still higher but I was happy that they worked with me). The only problem is, I didn't want to have to call back every year and continue complaining.

So, this year I decided to switch companies. I was told that I would be charged a service termination fee of $100 to cover the "labor associated with disconnecting service or removing equipment. This includes all aspects of the administrative process necessary to close the account." I told her that I was "NO LONGER UNDER CONTRACT with AmeriGas and haven't been for years and that I would not pay the termination fee." She said I would still be charged the fee and would receive a bill in the mail. I explained to her that I would STILL be a loyal AmeriGas customer if it wasn't for the fact that their propane prices were, on average, 40 cents more a gallon than other local companies.

Not to mention that the cost to "lock in" a price has doubled since I started with them many years ago. She proceeded to get really *** with me on the phone and was EXTREMELY RUDE!!! Well, I got the bill for the $100 service termination charge in the mail today and still have no plans on paying it. My credit score is "very good" and I am aware that I will have to send the credit bureau an explanation of why I'm not paying it.

I may have to take a hit on my credit score but I refuse to be bullied. It's very sad that AmeriGas has gotten so big that they no longer care about their loyal customers......I will make sure that all of my neighbors know of my dissatisfaction with AmeriGas along with anyone else that will listen!!

Product or Service Mentioned: Amerigas Customer Care.

Comments

Old Propane Guy doesn't seem to get it.

I just received my $100 service termination bill. I don't plan to pay it either.

My story is similar. I've been price gouged for years and finally switched companies.

stewdebi

I think Fran is either a hacker or bogus - I have sent 2 e-mails over a 30 day period and there has been no response or results - Amerigas does not honor their contractual agreements either and I believe they scam people into paying the $100 leak check fee

Hi this is Fran from AmeriGas. I’m sorry to read that you are having issues with billing.

We’d like to assist and help you as soon as possible – please email me at customerfirstfran at amerigas dot com with your account details so we can look into your situation. Thanks, Fran

It's the nature of the larger MLPs in the propane business. Many locally owned propane companies will work with you to keep your propane as affordable as possible. You don't have to worry about upper management padding your propane prices every year with "increasing unit margins" ( This is the term Gene and Lon used to use with the Wall Street guys when they did the conference calls to brag about making more profits at Amerigas and UGI)HamRL

Let me get this straight. You are complaining about how they treat their loyal customers, when you are no longer a loyal customer.

If you search the internet, you will find many, many, stories about pricing.

If you are too lazy to make sure you get the best price every year, the same thing will happen to the next company you go with. It's the nature of the business.

Amerigas Reviews