Being new to the use of propane and forgetting to check the level, I unfortunately let my tank get down to zero percent in the middle of winter with three small children in my home. When I spoke with an employee of the company, he advised that there was a $200 expidition fee to get someone out the NEXT day plus a $95.00 fee to check things because I let it get down to zero percent.

Then they mention the price per gallon! When he advised that it would cost me over $1,000.00 to fill my tank I was speachless! Now mind you, I called the company at approx. 8:00am thinking they would be out to fill my tank that day, especially with that &200 rush fee!

But no, it was to be delivered the next day. Now when I asked what time, he advised between 8-4 and could not be more specific and advised that someone NEEDED to be home during that time frame. I asked for someone to call me when they were enroute and they advised they would, but that is was not guarenteed. I stressed to them over and over to pleae give me a courtesy call because I work.

So, after freezing that night and not being able to use hot water, I went to work and waited for their call. I decided to go home for lunch that day and when I arrived at noon, saw a note on my door from Amerigas. It stated that they had filled my tank, but LOCKED IT OFF because nobody was home. I immediately called the company and advised that I never received a call and asked for the driver to return that day to unlock it.

The employee advised me that they WOULD NOT RETURN THAT DAY and that I needed to wait until the next business day and gave me a four hour time frame. They again stated that someone had to be home. I advised that I needed to work and to have the driver or dispatch call me when they were enroute. Employee advised that they MAY call but that it was not general procedure.

I spoke with supervisor after supervisor asking for some assistance with the issue. Each person I spoke with was rude, inconsiderate and blamed me for the mess because I let the tank get down to zero percent. They refused to credit me for the expidition fee, refused to send the driver back to my home to unlock it, refused to give me a smaller time frame the next day, refused to call ahead with a courtesy call and were not at all concerned that my three little ones were freezing and had no hot water. So, with no other choice, I decided to call off of work the next day and sit and wait for them to return.

Again, another nite of freezing temps plus a day without pay. At approx. 9:00am I miracuously received a call from the driver advising me that he would be there within 30 minutes! When I asked why he didnt call me the previous day when he was here filling it, he advised that it was not on the paperwork to call.

Boy, was I upset. This entire thing cost me over $1300.00!!! Plus, I was treated so poorly by employees and supervisors.

I will NEVER use Amerigas again nor recommend them to ANYONE! They have extremely poor customer service and ridiculously high prices with outragious fees!!!!!

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Jan 28, 2010.

Comments

Thank-You. AmeriGas Customer Service.

Other propane companies don't even have live human beings manning the phone 24 hours a day, so how are they going to come out and fill your tank in the middle of the night? Good luck even getting them to respond to your issue outside of 9am - 5pm.

It's real simple though. Check your tank regularly and don't let yourself run out.

It should be an emergency on their part. Every other company I have ever spoken to also charges a "emergency" fee. The difference is they deliver within a few hours...day or night....weekday or weekend....holidays.....

A failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency for Amerigas.