My husband was the go to guy for his office for 12 years. I have worried through 12 years of his working for AmeriGas. So many unsafe practices, working with faulty and old equipment, working with guys who could care less about their job or my husbands safety on the job. Working crazy hours all fall and winter to starve all summer. Yeah, that's the gas business. Four weeks ago on a Monday morning my husband came home with the news that he no longer worked for the Big A. Seems that during an audit, one of his work orders didn't have a check in the little box for pressure check. He had documented it in writing, but neglected to check the little box. I believe this is a rather new procedure, the checking of the little box.

Several weeks before his being fired, another employee of the same office, a 50% performer, so to speak, had gone on an emergency call for a leak, and just simply cut off the source, left the customer with no fuel, did no safety checks or measures, and just simply left the scene. The customers complained, but that screw-up has been contained in the small office in which it occurred. That guy still has his job (he actually called my husband the next morning and asked him to cover for his laziness!!). You see now that office has only 2 guys (actually 1 1/2) now and cannot afford to let another guy go right now. My husband was so conscientious of his job and his customers, it is such a insult that he lost his job and the other guy, who was always a problem guy, still has his job.

To top it all off, AmeriGas is also doing all they can to block his unemployment. They reported that he had been warned about checking the box before. Am I wrong or is that not a zero tolerance policy? And if that is so, wouldn't my husband have been let go before now? He had not been warned before. Simple.

My husband worked so hard for AmeriGas, It absolutely sickens me that they would report anything negative or false against him. We are about to lose our insurance, haven't had a paycheck in four weeks, being denied unemployment for 2 months. AmeriGas ***, and if any of you think your job is safe, THINK AGAIN!!! My husband admits he made a mistake, but we feel firing is mighty harsh after 12 years, for an infraction that has only been in the works for 8 months or so. Couldn't there be something a little less harsh after all these years of good and faithful service. You are not just taking someones job, you are putting peoples livelihoods in jeopardy. AmeriGas should be ashamed, I truly do not know how you can sleep at night.

Big Corporations give little guys who want to be big guys, a place to hide, after they have the spent the day doing mean things to good people they need a place to kick up their feet on their desks and reflect on their good fortune. Life Goes On....

We started a new job today, with nice people, considerate people, concerned people, small company, things are looking brighter...Thank God for goodness, there are definitely a few good folks still out there....

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from Oct 27, 2010.

Comments

I worked for them almost ten years I wasn't happy I left end of story.No unemployment no job. I am now happily employed and I tell anyone I know not to buy their propane.I just told a family member who is in the market for a tank to go else where and they did.Bottom line you can't fight a corporation but you don't have to buy their product.If people would stop complaining and do something about it instead, companies like this wouldn't make the profits they make and the companies that treat people as they should be treated would benefit.Their not in business to keep me and your husband employed their in business to make money. Hit them where it hurts.

madman999
Woolstock, Iowa, United States #233275

WHAT ABOUT YOUR UNDERPAID WAY OVER WORKED EMPLOYEES Illegally WORKING OVER THE DOT LAWS

IM canceling MY SERVICE WITH AMERIGAS AND YOU CANT LEAVE PEOPLE WITH LEAKING TANKS LIKE YOU DID MINE THE OTHER DAY !!!! I FEEL FOR THIS WOMAN 100%

Thank-You. AmeriGas Customer Service.

#205990

I fear that your hubby was not telling you everything. A leak test requirement on an out of gas has been a stringent policy for most propane companies for longer than your husband was employed.

As a former manager with over 30 years at another company, I feel sure there is documentation of any warning in your husbands file. They would have to supply documentation at any unemployment hearing.

If you ran a company and were sued for millions of dollars because an employee faild to perform the required tests, would you put a policy in that resulted in termination for those who don't do what is required? Shutting off a tank with a suspected leak is far better than leaving the gas on and not doing a proper leak test.

#205855

Safety is #1 for AmeriGas. I guess your husband had his mind on other things, though.

If he can't follow the proper procedures to keep himself and his customers safe, why would the company want to keep him on? That's what you call a liability, whether he's worked there for 12 years or 50 years.

#205778