Washington, District Of Columbia

The home in which I purchased had a full tank of gas when purchased. After having the gas changed into my name the person I spoke with did some research and called me back to tell me I would have to pay for the gas because the previous owner was on a meter and that tank hadn't been paid for yet.

She told me around $800.00 dollars. They were supposed to send me a bill. After not receiving the bill I attempted to contact them numerous times with no answer. It was always forever hold.

Finally they contacted me for my address, which I had given them previously. They e-mailed me the bill. When I got the bill it was over $1000.00. When I contacted them they just gave me a bunch of ***!!

When I asked for a new bill they said they couldn't do that When I asked to have the gals and the cost per gallon they said they don't do that. What a bunch of ***. I paid the bill. Not much choice.

When I called them to get a refill they had a lock on my account. Said I owe them $300.00 for something I don't even know about. But it's not due yet. Then why lock my account out.

They called a week ago and asked for my address again. I said I know I gave you my billing address, she said I don't doubt that. I only wanted to purchase the minimum amount of propane to get me thru the winter until I can get another tank dropped by another company. I'm going to have to put up with their bull or risk running out of gas and causing all kinds of other damage.

With all the reviews I've just read there has to be some place we can all go to get this taken care of. Anyone have any suggestions, know a lawyer that could help us out.

Product or Service Mentioned: Amerigas Tank Refill.

Comments

I am in the process of getting another company. I am burning up what gas I have left and then they can get their junk off my property.

Fran who works at amerigas. It is too late to help me out. The customer service has been so poor that I would not give amerigas another chance.

The prices are so high we can't afford it. I am still waiting for a bill they say I owe them.

Ok, let me try to help you out a little. Every propane company charges some sort of tank pickup fee, even if they own the tank. For the most part, there's no way around this "Pickup Fee". The killer fee is what they call a "Pump Out Fee". This they claim is what they have to charge, because the law does not allow a a tank to be transported if it has more than 5% of the total amount of gas the tank is rated for. At best their explanation is iffy. DOT Regulations allow a full tank to be transported if the delivery truck goes directly from point A to point B, without any stops in between. In other words, if they pickup your tank from your residence and go directly back to their plant/office, DOT Reglations allows this.

As far as their price per gallon is concerned, they are about the highest priced in the market today. Part of the reason for this, is to recover some of their cost of the acquistion of smaller propane companies that they have bought-out around the country in the past 3 years or so.

My best advice is ...If you have the slightest inkling that AmeriGas is taking advantage of you, drop them and go with another propane dealer. If enough customers do this, AmeriGas will finally get the message that their prices are outrageous and their customer service stinks.

Hello, my name is Fran and I work for AmeriGas. I’m sorry to hear about your situation with billing.

If you send your account details to me at customerfirstfran at amerigas dot com, we will work on assisting you with this issue. Thank you, Fran

Wow! They just told me that they were going to charge me $100 to remove the tank that they own! I'm amazed too! I haven't received the bill yet but I was told to expect it! I thought this was America and we should receive "product” for our money. Their prices were extremely excessive so I made the obvious choice. Go with a company that charges the least for the same product. What would anybody else do? Not only was I overcharged for the product but apparently they have been having troubles with too many people leaving them and now they are charging people as they leave regardless as to whether or not they delivered "competitive" product. I mean, if cost was my reason for leaving, shouldn't they be trying to improve their product and delivery instead of scalping their customers as they depart ; without any compensating product? Why do they have a department called "Retention Department". Is it possible they need this department to try to talk people out of leaving? That's what I'm thinking, what would you think?

I called them (approximately July 31, 2011) and explained that their rates were much higher than their competitions rates for my area. After trying to negotiate with them I realized the only way out was to go with their competition! I told them that I was purchasing a fresh tank from another supplier on that date. I purchased another propane tank from another supplier and had it placed parallel to AmeriGas’ tank so I could use up the propane that I just purchased from AmeriGas before hand. In September of 2011 they send out a form letter saying that they have just decided to start charging people $100.00 for picking up their own hardware. I could understand this if they had been delivering product at a competitive quality and rate. But their service is poor and their price is over the top! For example they need to have $112 as their lock-in rate. I found another supplier who would do it for $50. Their prices were considerably higher for each gallon as well. Even after the one-year introductory rate they are not competitive. This quite literally pushed me away from them! And now they feel it is ethical to charge me for removing their own equipment???? What's wrong with this picture?

As I spoke to one of their "Retention Department" managers I stated my case and asked her if she believed it was ethical. She said exactly this "it doesn't matter if it's ethical, it's our company policy". I was shocked! I asked her to say it again very slowly. And she repeated it! This is their "Retention Department ”? Unbelievable!

Additionally she told me that other gas companies were doing the same thing. So I went ahead and "Googled" "Propane company $100 to pick up tank" and guess what, you guessed it, AmeriGas came first with only one other complaint regarding a $75 charge for the same thing.

My point in general is that this charge is not a result of product delivered. This charge is a result of disappointed customers leaving because of poor product pricing, service, and delivery.

And it is just absolutely unequivocally wrong! And they need to re-examine the concept of "Customer Care". And since they are of the pioneers of this new charge I'd hope that more people will gather so the market doesn't allow it to become a protocol.

As consumers we should not be punished for leaving a service provider when we are treated badly! If we were treated well during our business together then my opinion of course would be different!

Rangarb - what company are you going through

Amerigas just charged me $100 for them to remove their tank that they own! I switched companies because they were charging double the amount per gallon than my new company. I've been paying $4.65/ gallon with Amerigas and the new company is $2.50/ gallon!

Amerigas Reviews