Richmond, Virginia

I have received an invoice on February 28th from my propane company "Amerigas", this invoice is for tank rental.

I have been living in this house for over 12 years and after purchasing the house I found out that the underground (500 gallon) propane tank is owned by Amerigas. A few years later I found out that there is a requirement that I must order 250 gallons of propane every year to avoid the tank rental. The original owner who lived in the house from 2003-2006 must know about this but nothing in verbal or writing get transferred to me. In past I have paid rental twice (about $225) because I did not use the minimum amount of propane. Although I did not sign any agreement for this but I did not argue with the company and paid the rent without any hesitation.

Last year I ordered 250 gallons of propane but I still receive the rental bill. When I called customer service, they said our terms and conditions have changed and now you need a minimum of 400 gallons of propane to avoid the rent.

My question is who gave them right to change anything, anytime they want? They did not send any letter nor I signed any new agreement. They do send emails time to time with new terms and conditions but it is multiple pages of terms and conditions letter and I did not read it.

What if they double the price of propane tomorrow? As per customer service they can change anything. Imagine living in a house and the landlord changes the rent all of a sudden? I understand that it is their property but in this case they must give the customer right to say I do not want to rent your home or your tank. When I ask customer service about this, they said it is going to cost you excavation fee, transport fee and some other fee that totals over $800.

This is completely unacceptable for me. I am not paying rental for something I did not sign any agreement. They should remove their tank from my property. This is a situation where someone is forcing you to live in their house and you will pay whatever rent they want.

Product or Service Mentioned: Amerigas Tank Rental.

Reason of review: Problems with payment.

Comments