We arranged auto-payment for our propane deliveries from Blue Flame (now owned by AmeriGas). They changed us almost $900 for delivery on 31 January 2013; an identical amount again one day later on 1 February 2013; and when I complained (after my alert bank informed me of what they considered a fraudulent posting) and asked for reimbursement, the incompetent staff took another almost $900 out of my account - I was billed three times for one delivery of propane...!

Getting Blue Flame to return my calls proved difficult, so we changed provider in late February. Our Blue Flame/Amerigas tank was finally collected on 7 March, but so much propane was spilled that neighbors reported a gas leak on 11 March (you can still smell the leak now in mid-April)!

When the tank was disconnected and collected, the gauge was showing approx. 20% full (approx. $250 worth). However, we are still awaiting reimbursement for this propane. Vermont law is pretty clear: VT Consumer Protection Rule (CP)111 states that providers should credit fuel remaining in a tank within 20 days of disconnection or face a penalty that accrues daily until the refund and penalty have been paid.

It is now 14 April (that is, 38 days after our tank was collected and 47 days since it was disconnected by our new propane providers), but we have not been paid by AmeriGas. I wonder whether they will ever return my call...

Next stop, the Vermont Consumer Body and Attorney-General!

Product or Service Mentioned: Amerigas Gas Tank.

Comments